Friday, June 15, 2012

Hey!

Our wedding was many years ago.  The celebration continues to this day.  
~Gene Perret

Hello!  Hi!!  I'm back!!  I sure missed all of my blogging friends but I did enjoy my time off.  While I was away we were lucky enough to be able to spend 5 days in Santa Cruz at the family home.  The weather was beautiful, even the one day it rained.  We rested, ate too much, visited the Boardwalk, and just enjoyed life, each other, and our fur babies.  Luckily, we returned to moderate temps but that has since gone away.  We are definitely into summer with our highs breaching 100 degrees (of more), and to think, we only have 3 1/2 more months to go.  Yesterday we celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary!  We were quite young when we said our vows (at least by today's standards) but it has been a wonderful journey through life together.  There is nothing better than being married to your best friend and sole mate.  
I have to admit that I really enjoyed my time away from blogging.  So much so that I will be taking off some more time.  Writing the blog today was very much a chore and not something that I found fun.  I am looking at taking off until August 1.  Blogging is meant to be something fun for me and not a daily or weekly duty that I feel I must do - I must want to do it.  However, I will be checking on your blogs from time to time - I have to keep up on what's going on in my friends' lives.  Hopefully you will be around when I return, but if not then I fully understand.  Oh, and just in case you are concerned, I will be keeping up with the Doll Quilt Swap, Let's Bee Together, and Block Swap Adventure.

=========================

LITTLE FACT OF THE DAY


Elephants

Elephants have always amazed and intrigued me.  I love the way they lumber around and their babies are just too cute.  Here are some fun facts about this large creature...
1.  The elephant’s closest living relative is the rock hyrax, a small furry mammal that lives in rocky landscapes across sub-Saharan Africa and along the coast of the Arabian peninsula.  
2.  Elephants don’t like peanuts. They don’t eat them in the wild, and zoos don’t feed them to their captive elephants.
3.  Elephants prefer one tusk over the other, just as people are either left or right-handed
4.  An elephant’s trunk has about 150,000 muscles and no bones: these features make the trunk very flexible.
5.  Elephants can hold 4 gallons or more of water in their trunks at one time.
6.  Elephants drink about 50 gallons and consume 400 lbs. or more of food each day.  Elephants eat about 16 hours a day.
7.  An elephant sleeps an average of 2 hours during a 24-hour period.
8.  An elephants' skin is an inch thick
9.  Elephants use their feet to listen, they can pick up sub-sonic rumblings made by other elephants, through vibrations in the ground

=============================

MAIL BAG


While I was on break, I received some wonderful things in the mail....

These two 6" blocks were made by Ann W. in Australia.  Ann was my January 6" Inch Block Swaps Australia and these are replacement blocks. The original blocks she made were lost somewhere across the great blue expanse that separates our countries.  The corner squares actually have a lot more green in them than the photo shows.  I love the center square fabric selection.  Thank you for the wonderful blocks, Ann!

My Block Swap Adventure partner for June was Shannon B from Georgia.  She made me TWO beautiful blocks!  One block was for the normal monthly swap and the second "as a thank you for all your had work and time as hostess".  That's so nice!  Shannon also told me that the blue floral in the middle of the bright batik block was from the Atlanta Shop Hop Batik from 2005 and that Hoffman produced this batik exclusively for the shops during the hop.  How cool is that?  I have to admit that the batik block is my favorite - bright colors on black just speak to me.  Thank you Shannon!!

Last month I won this fun book!  Beaquilter had a giveaway and I was the lucky winner.  The book has all sorts of wonderful ideas and it is even signed by the author.  I have been building quite a stash of buttons so maybe this is a way to use some of them.  Thank you, Bea!

==========================

A BIT OF SEWING


While I was away from blogging, I did manage to spend some time in front of the sewing machine but not nearly as much time as I had hoped.  Here is some of what I created......

These two blocks were made for Erin, the June hostess for Let's Bee Together.  I really like the white on white fabric she sent out for us to work with and the scrap fabric was fun.  Erin requested that these blocks not be cut down to size, allowing her to complete that task.  These went out in yesterday's mail.

This is the little quilt  I made for the June Doll Quilt Swap.  The theme was "Something old, something new, or something blue".  Guess you can tell I went with something blue.  The star blocks measure 3 inches square and the entire little quilt measures 16 1/4" x 20".  I found this pattern in a book titled "Small Quilts with Vintage Charm" by Jo Morton.  I followed her directions for making flying geese and I have to say it wasn't my favorite method.  This quilt is traversing the country all the way from California to Wisconsin.

I did make two more Loving Hands quilts but they look very much like the two I made for May - only the center panel is a bit different.  I worked on a couple of small cross stitch project for World of Charity Stitching - one was a repeat of the Scroll block I made and have already shared and one I'm not quite finished with.  I began a major FPP project and will be working on that for awhile.  I have to do most of my sewing in the morning hours as the sewing room gets very hot in the afternoon sun even with the A/C and ceiling fan running.  

================================

FINAL THOUGHT


Look for me August 1.


38 comments:

Sheila said...

Great post and fully understand why you need a break , blogging is meant to be fun not work :-)Your mini quilt is amazing so I am sure your lucky swap partner is thrilled .Enjoy your break!!Oh Happy Anniversary too :-)

Staci said...

wow, your elephant facts were fascinating! I just read them aloud to my husband, too!

Glad you had a lovely trip!

Enjoy your blogging break. Recharge your 'batteries" We'll all be waiting for you when you are ready to return.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Happy Anniversary Linda! Blogging should be fun not a chore so enjoy yourself and post when you feel like it, we'll all still be here! Love the quilting you have been doing too!

I did not know Elephants don't like peanuts!!

doodlebugmom said...

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your summer vacation from blogging :)

Needled Mom said...

Happy anniversary!!!! We, too, were married young but I think that was more of the "normal" back then. It just gives us more years to celebrate....right?????

Sorry to hear that the heat has set in up there. We are still having the morning cool fog here so you are welcome to come and visit.

Your blue quilt is really gorgeous. You did such a nice job on it.

I am going to miss your posts, but I can certainly understand your need for a summer break. Will you also keep up with your OFW flowers?
Have fun and try to stay cool.

suemac said...

Yeah Santa Cruz. One of my most favorite cities. My sister lives in Watsonville. I grew up in the Bay Area and enjoyed going over Highway 17 to the ocean all summer long.

Maria said...

Happy Annirversary to you both...
Enjoyed reading your post agin.
Have a nice holiday.

Hilachas said...

Happy Anniversary! We also married young (I was 19) and will celebrate 46 years in August. Enjoy your summer away from blogging. I love my blogging friends but I, too, find it somewhat of a chore to get my scattered thoughts together and post a blog. My easiest day is One-Flower Wednesday because I already know what I will post about. Rest, enjoy life, and know that you will be missed but that we understand the need for a break. Until later, my friend.

Carin@Ullhärvan said...

I hope you'll have a very nice summer! We'll be longing to hear from you in August!

Bobbie said...

Linda, I will miss your posts and your facts! HAve a great summer!

Shannon said...

5 days in Santa Cruz, i bet that was nice. Have a nice blog vacation. Yes blogging should be something you WANT to do. Go have fun and have a nice relaxing summer. I can't believe that elephants are related to those furry little animals. Weird! Your little quilt is so cute. Wow, 3 inches is tiny.

Snoodles said...

I never would have thought that the elephant and the hyrax were related!! Your doll quilt is stunning!
Enjoy your time off from blogging! We'll be happy to see you when you return!

quiltercaroline said...

Hi Linda
Glad you have had a good break - I have missed you but if you are not enjoying blogging at the moment then you should definitly take time off. Have fun! C

Marcia W. said...

missed you -- I like the variety of blocks that you've completed -- take care of yourself

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Happy Anniversary!. I have missed you, but glad you are enjoying, you are in a lot of our thoughts.

quilterliz said...

G'day Linda. Congratulations on your anniversary. I loved the elephant story. They are beautiful creatures. I am sorry that I won't be reading your blogs for a while, but I hope you come back refreshed and I look forward to your return. Take care. Liz...

Anonymous said...

You're really enjoying this time off stuff! LOL It sounds like you had a great time on vacation, and now plan some more great time. Love that doll quilt. The Atlanta shop hop must be huge to get their own fabric. I'll have to check out the dates for the next one! It's only about 3 hours away.

dezertsuz at gmail

sunny said...

You will be missed, but we'll be waiting when you come back. I know I couldn't put the time and energy into posting the way you do. I just post when the mood strikes, and I have something to say. You're right - it's supposed to be fun. Enjoy your 'vacation'!!

WoolenSails said...

I am glad you are enjoying your summer and sometimes we need to step back and take a break.
Happy Anniversary! Ours is next week and 37 years for us, too.

Debbie

Christine M said...

Happy anniversary to you and your hubby. Glad you had a lovely time on your break. Enjoy your blogging break. Hugs, Christine
PS. I love your little blue doll quilt.

Tamara Hampton said...

happy anniversary and enjoy your summer! looking forward to seeing you again!

Barbara said...

Good for you deciding to take care of yourself. I'll be here when you get back. Stay cool!

Quiltingranny said...

Enjoy your summer and congrats on the wonderful wedded bliss! I too feel lately blogging is a chore, but more from the pain I feel on a daily basis!

Barb said...

Glad you had a fun time!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Blogging is supposed to be fun. I haven't had much time to blog, so I haven't. Summer is always so busy. Enjoy your time away and we'll be here when you get back.

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your break!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Linda you can see from all the well wishing friends here that you have certainly made an impact in all our lives through your wonderful blog, from the interesting little known fact of the day to sharing your latest projects with us. But when it becomes a chore and YOU aren't having fun with it then you DO need to rest and take care of yourself first.....we all care about your health and know that you must think of that first. Take as much time as you need and as that little hotel commercial says......"We'll keep the lights on for you".....

Pokey said...

Hey back! Well, you announced a break, and I took one and felt guilty, so silly, I know. Good for you, and you will be missed, remember that! I love your newsy, creative posts ~
:-}pokey

Debbie said...

have a great time off!

look forward to seeing you back here in my reader :)

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh yes, take a break. I've taken several this summer and it's been great!! See you later.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sounds like you've been having way too much fun. Congratulations on the many years of wedded bliss. You might catch up with us...grin.

corina said...

Happy belated anniversary! By the way,I voted for your quilt at the Quilting Gallery. It's a beauty. That stitching must have taken forever!

Kris said...

Glad to hear you are doing well and that your vacation was so much fun!! Happy, happy anniversary - you are right - it must be wonderful to be married to your best friend and soul mate!! I love your Doll Quilt!! Enjoy your break until August!! And take care of yourself!! oxoxox

Raewyn said...

belated Happy Anniversary wishes. Hope you enjoy your summer and the blogging break. The last thing we want is for blogging to become a chore - hope you can find a balance :-)

Lynette said...

:D Hi, Linda - glad you had such a nice trip earlier, and hope your time off is rejuvenating and restful. Everyone deserves a good, long break every so often!

Melissa said...

I know what you mean about blogging sometimes being a chore. I hope you enjoy your time off and work on things that make you happy!

Anonymous said...

Hi LInda! Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your break from blogging! Hugs across the miles...

Anne said...

Just stopped by to say that I was thinking about you. I couldn't remember when you said you'd return, but I see that it's August 1. Hope you are doing well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...