Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pasta Primavera with Turkey Sausage and a New Mani

It's Thursday!  One more day until the weekend.  I had a fairly productive day yesterday with the completion of the winter bargello sampler, giving myself a new mani, preparing one of my favorite dinners, finished off by grocery shopping.  I hate grocery shopping but it has to be done.  At least by going Wednesday evenings the store is fairly empty.  It is also the first day of the store flyer so most of the sale stuff is still in stock.  Luckily, Gregory (the hubby) doesn't mind grocery shopping so we sort of balance each other out.  However, the majority of our shopping time is spent in the cereal row while he makes his selection.  Me, it's easy, Multi Grain Cheerios every time!

Now, for one of my absolute favorite recipes.  And it's actually good for you too!  The recipe says it makes 8 servings but we usually get around 6 servings out of it.  I would have this every week but Gregory would probably protest.  I found the recipe once again on my favorite recipe site allrecipes.com, so here it is:

Pasta Primavera with Turkey Sausage

Ingredients:

1 (14.5 to 16 oz) package uncooked farfalle pasta (bowtie) - I use multi grain
1 14 to 16 oz turkey sausage (I use the Lite version), cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 med zucchini, sliced into bite size pieces ( use the lighter green one - less bitter)
4 small yellow squash, sliced into bite size pieces
2 sweet bell peppers, thinly sliced; your choice of colors
1 teaspoons basil leaves
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Grated Romano cheese


Ingredients (the olive oil is missing in the pic but not forgotten in the cooking)
Awww - that's my grandson's, Mason, pic in the upper right corner.
Directions:

1.  Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place farfalle in pot and cook per directions on package until al dente; drain.  (I usually have to add an extra minute to the cooking time for multi grain pasta)

2.  Place sausage in a large skillet over medium heat and cook until evenly brown; set aside. Heat 1/4 cup oil in skillet. Stir in garlic and onion, and cook until tender. Mix in zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers and basil. Dissolve bouillon in the mixture. Season with red pepper. Stir in remaining oil. Continue cooking 10 minutes.

3.  Mix pasta and sausage into skillet. Continue cooking 5 minutes, or until heated through.

Serve with grated Romano cheese sprinkled on top.

Prep Time: 20 Minutes          Cook Time: 30 Minutes


I have to cook mine in an 8 quart pot since my 10 inch skillet just isn't big enough!

I hope you like this meal as much as we do.  And one of the nice things about it is you have a full meal in one dish!  This reheats well in the microwave.


Here's the completed recipe with the Romano cheese on top - soon to be devoured!

As I previously said, I was able to give myself a mani yesterday with one of my new polishes, Zoya Beyonnce.  What a wonderful color!  The Zoya website gives the following description: Medium red-orange based coral frost with yellow-gold metallic duochrome.  This color could definitely be worn all year.


Outdoors in sunshine


Indoors under florescent lights

The outdoor picture is a descent color representation, picks up more of the red.  Inside lighting does pick up more of the coral/gold tone but not quite as much as the picture depicts.  I'm fairly new back into the polish thing, so please excuse my less than perfect mani. I have enjoyed seeing nice nails on my own hands again. And it's all my daughter's (Megan) fault for getting me back into polish and manis.  Visit her blog at http://kitschysuburbia.blogspot.com to see some of her beautiful nail creations and reviews!  My biggest dilemma is what color to pick next.

That's it for today friends. Try to stay cool!  I plan on staying under to AC, trying to get another row completed on a quilt I started back in May. Have a fantastic Thursday!!

2 comments:

Megan Harmeyer said...

The comment about Dad spending forever on the cereal aisle made me LOL. I can so see that! I got this recipe from Kristen but haven't tried it - I think I might add it to my shopping list for today! I like that color on you - it's bright but not so bright that it smacks you in the face.

Linda Gilli said...

I was surprised when Kristen liked the recipe - I don't know why but I was. Thanks for the color compliment - I thought it was going to be too bright but I was very much surprised on what a wearable color it is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...