Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dancing


Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  
~Dr. Seuss

How is your week going so far?  Did you have a nice weekend?  For me, so far so good.  Our weekend was fairly quiet and gave us time to recharge our batteries.  Recently we've had a couple of tree branches break off.  One was a rather large pine branch and the other a middle sized branch of a bush that turned into a tree.  I told my DH that the birds in the neighborhood must be getting too fat.  In all reality, it's probably because of the heat.  The smaller branch is the one that startled me as it went down right outside my sewing room window.  The forecasters had predicted cooler weather, which we had for two days, but we are supposed to back up the old century mark again tomorrow.  Even the plants and trees are tired of the heat.  Oh well.  I'll stay cool inside while I stitch and quilt.

===========================

LITTLE FACT OF THE DAY

Octopus

The octopus - a creature of nightmares and underwater spooky movies.  All those legs seem like they would get tied in knots.  However, there are time when I wish I had 8 hands, especially when the girls were little.  Here are a few facts on the demon of the sea:
An octopus species known as the mimic octopus can actually impersonate other creatures
All octopuses have three hearts
They have no bones and will not be able to maintain their shape out of water
* The octopus has blue blood
They have a very good eyesight but can not hear
All octopuses can change their color
When threatened or provoked, the blue-ringed octopus will quickly change its color to bright yellow with blue rings on it
Sometimes octopuses may shed an arm to escape a predator
An adult Octopus can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime
The octopus is considered to be the smartest of all invertebrates. In captive environments, octopuses are able to complete puzzles, mazes, and be trained. In some cases, octopus can be seen playing with their toys or keepers

============================

A FEW MORE BLOCKS

I have continued to work on my Dancing With The Stars blocks.....

This block is called Tango.  The center square is really a warmer purple than the photo depicts.  The Tango dance dates back to the 1890's and originated in the lower class districts of Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

And this one is called Mambo.  I hadn't heard of this dance but looked it up and found out it is a Latin dance of Cuba.  The Mambo dance was invented in the 1930's in Havana.  It's been fun relating the blocks to their names with a little bit of history.  
I'm still loving foundation paper piecing and look forward to creating each new block.

==========================

FINAL THOUGHT



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting post Linda.xx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your Dancing blocks - very pretty.

Needled Mom said...

Your blocks are just gorgeous!!!! I don't recall; are they paper pieced?

I learned so much about an octopus this morning. My granddaughter looked at the photo and went "grrrr".

I hope this week is better for you.

Melissa said...

So I read the caption before I looked at the actual picture...and yes I did get a very good chuckle :) Glad you had a relaxing weekend. We had on our trees in our front break almost in half last year after our big snow storm, the sound is enough to start anyone. Oddly enough all the trees in our neighborhood that broke (and there were a lot) all came back with vigor and are growing beautifully!

Vesuviusmama said...

Somehow, I haven't been to visit your blog in quite a while. I have some catching up to do! Lovely blocks! So, I take it you've never seen Mambo Kings, eh? Even without the music and dancing, I think it is worth seeing for Antonio Banderas and Armand Assante. :) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104802/

Maria said...

Interesting post on the Octopus..
Your blocks are just beautiful...
Hope you have a great week.

Barbara said...

Your blocks are gorgeous, Linda!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your DWS blocks are wonderful!

I had to laugh at your fat birds. We have black jacks and post oaks in our yard. Neither are very strong trees. We have a bad habit of not trimming off the old branches outside the computer window because the birds love them.

We had a giant bluejay land on one and down he went branch and all.
He actually had something to fuss about, not that a bluejay needs a reason.

Fiona said...

Love the blocks.... great colours and beaut stitching...
Hugz

Anonymous said...

Love your stars! The fabrics are great.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Wow, lovely stars and so different too! I just learned how to PP this year and made several small projects and then went to other things so a couple of nights ago I decided I wanted to do another PP block, printed out the patterns and went, "duh?" I thought I could get right back to it but it seems like those instructions I threw away will have to come out of the trash.....Thanks for the info on our friend with the 8 tentacles..... I didn't realize an octopus could squeeze through such a small space!

Lynda said...

Beautiful Dancing with the Stars blocks. So bright!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...