Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer Is NEVER Going To End


Life is not about discovering our talents; it is about pushing our talents to the limit and discovering our genius.  
~Robert Brault

Hot, hot, hot!  That's what it's been here in the central valley of California.  Our highs are hovering right around 108 degrees and our low was a measly 82 degrees Saturday morning.  Even though I am a native of good ol' Bakersfield doesn't mean I have to like the heat.  As far as I can tell, nothing good comes from this heat.  Thank goodness for the air conditioning, and right now it's working overtime just to keep the house somewhat comfortable.  Hopefully this heatwave will end soon but they aren't predicting that to happen until at least next week.  Thinking cool thoughts and keeping busy with quilting and stitching helps a little.  Oh well....on with the day.

=====================================

LITTLE FACT OF THE DAY


Sponge

For some reason my mind went to the sea this morning.  Maybe it's because I was thinking of cool, fresh air instead of the oppressive heat and smog we've been experiencing the last few days.  Sponges.  What are they?  Well, let's see what I found out:
Sea sponges are classified as animals, however, lack the brain, the central nervous system, digestive system and a cardiovascular system.
Because sponges move only a couple millimeters each day, they have a unique method for eating. Using their unique design, they eat by filtering water through their pore cells and digesting water and food with their collar cells. Water escapes out of the sponge from a top hole termed the osculum.
Sponges can contain 16,000 other animals inside of it.
To prevent other sponges from attacking them, Sponges can produce chemicals to keep other sponges cells from growing
The chemicals that a sponge produces are being used to find a cure for cancer and many other diseases
One of the largest sponges ever was almost 10 feet wide.
When a part of a sponge breaks off, the broken part will form a new sponge.
If you strain a sponge through a cloth it will form a new shape on the other side
What we think is sea sponge lying on the beach is actually just its skeleton. The skeleton is composed of needle-like splinters called spicules and a mesh of protein called spongin. A microscopic examination of this skeleton can tell us which kind of sea sponge it is.

==============================

DOLL QUILTS SWAPPED


Last week I received a darling doll quilt from my swap partner, Anita.

The theme for August was "Warm and Sunny".  Isn't this just perfect?  I won't tell you which of the fun ladies best depicts me - lol!  Anita's work is amazing.  I love the play on words that she stitched in the sky.  Thank you so very much, Anita.

Anita and I mailed off our doll quilts on the same day.  She lives in Florida and I live in California.  The route from east to west won.  Here is the little quilt that I made for Anita.
The center block is a foundation paper pieced pattern from Carol Doak's Scenic Scrap BOM.  What I thought was a beach ball is supposed to be a beach umbrella.  Oh well, it's still a beach scene.  I bordered with yellows and oranges and then did straight line quilting with a variegated thread (oranges and yellows) to depict the rays of the sun.  
Next month is Harvest Time.  I have no idea what I will be creating for that!

=============================

FINAL THOUGHT




23 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Like a sponge, we soak up your little fun facts of the day. I love both of these Doll quilts - they each scream and interpret Sunny & Warm. Have a lovely day.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Thanks for the sponge facts!

It's been a hot one in Iowa this summer... so I know what you are going through. Love the beagle soaking up the air from the fan...cute picture.

:) Carolyn

Maria McCabe said...

I love your fun facts - they are always so interesting! Love the doll quilts too!

Maria

Maria said...

Thanks for the interesting Sponge facts...
Both the doll quilts are gorgeous and I think I am the red apple.LOL
It is cold down Under and I also have the air con on HEATING.....

Lynette said...

lol :) Now my brain is stuck on thinking about sponges. Very interesting tidbits there.

Char said...

Love the mini quilts today. I think I'm the apple.
We've had lower humidity for the past few days and temps haven't been as high. I hope it last. Hope you get relief soon as well.

Impera Magna said...

Oh, yes... summer heat... seems to never end... I don't want to wish the days away but autumn's cooler temps are just ahead hopefully!

Linda said...

Yes, I agree that the heat must go! It has been too hot for too long!
Your little beach quilts are so cute! (both the one you received and the one you sent!)

Needled Mom said...

That is pretty darn hot!!! Those night temps are really up there.

Your little quilts are just adorable. I have a little of that lady fabric just because I thought it so stinkin' cute. She did a fabulous job with it and I love the one you did in return. I, too, thought it was a beach ball, but it is a cute umbrella too.

Hope you get some heat relief before next week.

Gene Black said...

We had storms this morning so it is a "cool" 82 degrees at the moment. I have a feeling it will heat up and be steamy later in the day.

Hilachas said...

It's HOT in Texas too. The mini quilts are so pretty. How's the cross-stitch coming along?

Christine M said...

I wish we had a little of your heat as it's so cold here in Melbourne! Both mini quilts are lovely.

Melissa said...

It isn't that hot here but it is darn uncomfortable for us WA people who are used to life in the 60s to have it in the 90s the last couple weeks. I can't imagine the 100s! Stay cool my friend :)

sunny said...

Beautiful quilts! You both did a fabulous job. I hope you get some cooler weather soon.

Sarah Craig said...

Such pretty little quilts - I love the one you made and the one you received!! (We won't even talk about which one of those ladies looks like me!) Sorry about the heat - we've been enjoying a few lovely cooler days - highs in the low 80's. It's a nice change from those 100 degree weeks we had for a while!

Barbara said...

Our summer didn't really get under way until about two weeks ago. This weekend, our temperatures will climb into the hundreds for the first time in a long time. I lived in Phoenix for three years, however, and so I'm sympathetic about your hot temperatures. Stay cool, my dear. Love both of your doll quilts. Great interpretation of the theme.

Angie in SoCal said...

Oh, Linda - I could have written that first part about the heat. Except here in Southern California our high was 105 with a low of a measly 75. What is not good is that the heat index for today was 109-114! due to some humidity. Like Bakersfield, they're saying we won't have any relief until next week, and I only have air in my living room.

How darling are those two mini quilts! Thanks for sharing them.

Redspect said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

So are you telling me that sponges don't live in Pineapples under the sea and work in undersea restaurants selling crabby patties????? LOL.....as always, Linda, your creations are lovely and your post is so enjoyable and informative.....thank you!

Linda in Calif. said...

You know I'm feeling those hot days right with you. I just keep telling myself "It's only a couple weeks, then it will cool off". I really feel sorry for the kids going back to school in this heat. I just don't understand that.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful doll quilts Linda! We have finally had some cooler weather and are loving it! Hoping some comes your way!

Lynda said...

I agree, the heat has been going on too long now. Of course, in a few months I'll be complaining about the snow and cold. Love the 2 doll quilts. Your little paper pieced beach scene is so cute.

Vesuviusmama said...

What neat little quilts! I like what you did with yours, and it took me a minute to figure it out, but how clever that each woman's suit (and bottom) represents a different fruit. Let's pretend I'm the cherry...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...