If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.
~Thomas Alva Edison
I'm sooooooooo tired of the heat! 102 degrees on Friday. 100 degrees on Saturday and Sunday! Maybe today it will be a bit cooler. This as should come as no surprise to me as we normally heat up for the opening of the Kern County Fair but usually not to 100. I am trying to think cool and stay cool. Ceiling fans are working day and night right along with the poor air conditioner. I feel so sorry for those that have to work outside in the furnace we call the Central Valley. I'll be staying inside doing some sewing and stitching this week. What are your plans?
LITTLE FACT OF THE DAY
Do you remember when fox coats were popular? These are beautiful creatures. I think I've only seen one in the wild. Here are some interesting facts about foxes:
* Foxes are solitary animals that do not really prefer to live in packs. The fox belongs to the medium-sized canid group.
* This animal is found in almost every kind of habitat. They also show an ability to adapt to the presence of humans.
* The Fennec fox is the smallest fox seen amongst all the species. This tiny animal weighs a mere 3.5 pounds.
* Foxes use various sounds and pitches to communicate between each other.
* Although foxes belong to the Canidae family along with dogs, they also display behavior patterns similar to cats. The vertically slit eyes are on similar lines of the feline cats, besides, they also have retractable claws.
* Foxes feed on rodents, worms, insects, birds and all types of relatively smaller sized animals. They also store their food so that it can be consumed later on during the day.
* Foxes are basically nocturnal animals and prefer to hunt at night.
* The fox is an excellent tree climber
CROSS COUNTRY DOLL QUILTS
Kim and I were Doll Quilt Swap partners for September. We live just about as far apart as you get and still be in the continental US. Kim lives in New York and I live in California. The theme for September was Harvest but we both pretty much just went with a fall theme.
Kim made this beautiful quilt for me. She created this little quilt using 1.5" sample pieces sent to her with an order from Keepsake Quilting. Kim selected the perfect background fabric and then anchored the little squares with the quilting stitches. This looks so nice out on my living room table. Thank you so very much, Kim!
This is the quilt I made for Kim. The browns are much richer than the photo depicts. I had fun making the paper pieced maple leaves using some of the batiks I had plus another fall print. It ended up measuring about 15.75" square. I just might have to make one for myself.
FAT QUARTER SHOP GIFT CERTIFICATE
Are you ready for a giveaway? One of my all time favorite places to shop online is sponsoring this giveaway - Fat Quarter Shop! How would you like to win a $25 gift certificate to spend any way you would like at their wonderful online store?
I bet I have your interest now! How can you enter? Well, let's see.......
1. Go to Fat Quarter Shop and look at their Coming Soon section. Then in your comment tell me what you are going to be adding to your wish list for a future purchase. For me? I'm looking forward to the release of Backwood Batiks by Hoffman Fabrics due out the end of October.
2. Spread the word of this giveaway by including it in a post on your blog. Make sure you include a link back to this page. (I will be checking!). Include a link to the page where you posted it in your comment.
Easy enough, isn't it? So you can have two chances to win the Fat Quarter Shop $25 gift certificate.
- only two entries per person
- open to everyone, everywhere! Yes, Fat Quarter Shop ships everywhere!
- if you are a no-reply blogger, you must include an email address where I can contact you in your comment. If I can't reach you, you CAN'T win!
This giveaway ends Monday, September 24, 2012, at 5:00 pm PDT. I will announce the winner in my post on Tuesday, September 25, 2012.
Thank you, Fat Quarter Shop, for sponsoring this great giveaway! I wish that I could be the winner.
GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!