Thursday, September 9, 2010

Excuses and Procrastination

"May all of your ups and downs in life be with a needle and thread"
                                                     ~author unknown

I actually learned something new yesterday.  Don't eat dried cranberries while pressing white fabric!  Some of us only learn the hard way - lol!  Luckily for me it was a small spot on a piece I hadn't finished cutting yet and not in the middle of some square that I had spent hours on.  Lesson learned!

Photo of the Day:

A gerbera daisy in my yard.

Did you know that the gerbera daisy is the fifth most popular flower in the world.  In my yard it is the the most popular and the most populated.  What is the origin of the gerbera daisy name you might ask: The genus, Gerbera comes from the name of an 18th-century German naturalist, Traugott Gerber. This name origin will come as quite a disappointment to those who fancy that gerbera daisy flowers are in some way connected with Gerber baby food!  Okay, I think I have about run out of facts on the gerbera if you include previous posts about this beautiful flower.


I am so far along in the Chubby Stars Quilt Along!  I started late, then the long weekend happened with no sewing, then cutting took longer than I expected.  I know - excuses, excuses, excuses.  Yesterday I managed to sew together the strips and then do some of the sub cutting.  Here is a picture of the stack of fabric I cut on Tuesday.

This picture is not a good depiction of all the fabric I cut.  There are 17 large squares of assorted prints, 136 small print squares, 64 medium print squares, 16 print strips, 16 white strips, and I can't remember how many white squares.

I also managed to sew together the 16 print and 16 white strips into pairs.


I then cut these strips into 1 1/2" sub cuts.  Well, most of them - I still have 5 more strips to cut.  But my back was killing me after cutting all morning on Tuesday and then pin basting all that afternoon.
                           


I spent most of the afternoon putting some more stitches into the Christmas stocking for the SIL.  I think I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel - lol!  I also managed to paint my fingernails as they had been naked for 3 days and were driving me crazy.  Besides, I had to have them look good because we were going out to dinner with some friends who earlier this year had moved to Oregon.  Speaking of dinner, I ate way too much - but then what should I expect when you go for Basque food at Wool Growers!  Good food, good friends, what more could you ask?

I also decided to put up my fall wall hanging that I had made last year.  There was just a bit of coolness in the air and it's September so it should be fall, even though I know we will be back up into the 90's before we cool off for good.

                            


 
Have you entered my giveaway?  If not, what are you waiting for?!?  Click HERE now!

Final Thoughts
I'm off to finish cutting those 1 1/2" sub cuts and can't help thinking of all of the other projects I'm working on or want to be working on, the book I'm reading, what to have for dinner, etc.  Can the mind never shut off?  I read recently that there was a study that proved 'there is not such thing as an idle mind, even in sleep'.  I think most of us could have told the scientist this (without a study) on those many nights when you are trying to sleep and the mind just keeps whirling and you just keep tossing and turning.  So, try to balance your thoughts, accomplish what you can, and have a good Thursday!

7 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

I love the colors in your fall wallhanging! I have the windows open, hope the cool weather will last.

Needled Mom said...

Your quiltalong quilt is going to be wonderful. I love the fabrics you are using.

The Gerbera daisies are always so pretty and last for so long when cut. I just embroidered one on an art teacher's smock yesterday.

Aren't we glad that our minds are never idle. I have "solved" so many problems in the middle of the night.

Quiltstory said...

I am the same way, I am never caught up on my projects!

I am really jealous of your daisys in your yard!! So pretty!!

Vesuviusmama said...

Wow! That's quite a bit of cutting you got done! Good for you! Your fall wallhanging is lovely. One day, I will get around to seasonal decorations for my house...

quiltingnana said...

I LOVE that fall quilt...the leaves are so beautiful and the setting does them justice...good job

Megan Harmeyer said...

I really like that Fall wall hanging. I wish I could say that fall is in the air here, but it's not really. I haven't even smelled roasting chile yet. :(

Brigitte said...

Thank you for becoming my follower. I like the lemon yellow background for the hexagons.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...