Thursday, October 7, 2010

3 More Blocks & A Happy Dance

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.                          ~John Ruskin

I'm not sure that I totally agree with Mr. Ruskin.  Those poor people in Flagstaff, AZ, that were hit by two tornados yesterday probably are sure there is such a thing as bad weather.  Only 6 more days until the new season of Storm Chasers!! Woohoo!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Photo Of The Day:

Wait! Are my eyes deceiving me?!?  Could it be? Is it really? RAIN!!! (little happy rain dance by me!)  Yes, we actually had some rain yesterday.  Our first real rain since May.  All of the trees and plants finally got a much needed shower, they were all looking so tired and dirty.  I know this isn't something of importance to many of you but we only receive approximately 5 inches of rain a year so we cherish every little bit that falls from the heavens above.  Am I a cloud watcher?  You bet.  Any little white puff in the sky draws my attention upward.  Do I mind getting wet?  Heck no.  I've been known to work all day in the yard in the rain, even the dogs have given up trying to find dry spots and go inside.  Do I consider rain a nuisance?  No! Well, maybe when it spots my glasses.  I never say the little ditty "rain, rain, go away.........".  I say "Bring it on! The more the better".  Yes, I do go a little rain crazy, but anybody that knows me expects it of me.  Let it rain!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday morning when my husband headed out the door to go to work, he was greeted by this:

Can you see what I see?  The window was broken during the night.  It left a mess inside and out....

The scumbag that did this rifled through the center console and the glove box.  The only things that were stolen were a work pencil, two non-prescription reading glasses, a Petsmart discount card, and a small container of pills (Sudafed, Tylenol, etc).  They luckily left my handicap placard, didn't take a set of keys to my DM house, didn't take either garage door opener, didn't take anything electrical.  Not sure what they were actually looking for but they must have been very disappointed in there stash from this vehicle.  Unfortunately, we only have a one car garage and that is our 'storage unit' so parking on the street is our only choice.  Not a good start to our morning :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did manage to complete 3 more blocks for the SAL with Cheryl over at So Many Quilts, So Little Time.  Here they are:

Block 7 - Basket


Block 8 - Big Dipper


Block 9 - End of Day

That makes a total of 9.  Only 3 more to go and I will be caught up!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last year I participated in the Hopes and Dreams Quilt Challenge for ALS.  Quilters Dream Batting is sponsoring the 2nd annual Hopes and Dreams Quilt Challenge for ALS.  It is simple to donate your quilts and to be eligible to win lots of great prizes.  The quilts should be 34" X 44" or larger.  Quilts of all sizes are welcome.  Quilts may be quilted or tied.  Quilts will be presented with the ALS Association to ALS patients nationwide.  Selected quilts will be raffled, auctioned and shown to help raise desperately needed funds for ALS research.  This is a nonjuried quilt challenge.  Quilters of all abilities are encouraged to participate. You can find out more information by going to Hopes & Dreams Quilt Challenge on FB or you can check it out on their website where you will find complete information.  If you go to the FB page you can see all of the wonderful quilts that were donated for the first Challenge.   I hope you will consider donating a quilt for this worthy cause!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was also able to finish another afghan for Project Linus.  Do you think this one is kid bright enough?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GIVEAWAYS

Valkryie Knit This is having a giveaway. She is letting you pick between a gorgeous Robert Kaufman fat quarter bundle in stunning purples or a skein of Merino/Nylon sock yarn from Knit Drink, or you can select both.  This is open until October 17.

Hollyhock Quilts is having a 5 day giveaway.  Different things for different days.  Hurry and check this one out before it's all done!

Have you entered for the quilt kit I'm giving away?  If not, go HERE to check it out and enter!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final Thought

As we go through the day, we are sometimes given something to rejoice about (rain!) and other times we come across obstacles (broken windows).  Without these highs and lows in life, our days would be rather mundane and the sameness would drive us crazy. So I say, embrace everything that comes your way, good, bad, or indifferent.  Having the same thing happen day after day would be like sewing an all white nine patch into an all white quilt.  Boring!  So I leave you with the quote:

A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.  ~Harry Truman

Have a thoroughly marvelous Thursday!!

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

So sorry about the break in! Glad they took nothing of real value. Your quotes are always so spot on and I love your inspirational blog. Hope more rain falls, but only the wet kind.
P.S. your blocks look great!

Mary Lou Casada said...

Linda, I'm so sorry about the break-in! Glad that damage was minimal. From the sounds of it they were looking for something specific (drugs, maybe?). A great blessing they left the more valuable stuff (and ACCESS to the more valuable stuff!) alone.
Your SAL blocks are coming right along! I love your colors choices!
Blessings,
Mary Lou

Monica said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your van. I just don't get people.

Megan Harmeyer said...

I'm glad they didn't anything worth taking from the van, but it sucks anyway. I like your new blocks and the afghan reminds me of Panama school.

Winona said...

Hi Linda. Glad you are getting some rain, but so sorry about the broken window on your van. Hope you can get it fixed quickly. I really don't get why some people think it is alright to just destroy someone else's property. Then steal what they want. It seams to me like a lot of these vandals/thieves work harder at stealing than if they had a job. Hope today gets better for you. Winona

Jen said...

Beautiful afghan! I would love to curl up underneath that. Love the blocks too. That's horrible about the break-in. Might have been kids. It's weird to break a window if there's nothing valuable sitting out to catch the eye. I've had my car broken into a few times and I'm always so angry. You're such an optimistic person though! What an inspiration, Thanks for being you!

Cheryll said...

I'm SoRrY too. They just make a mess..and it's the wasting of time to get it fixed that bugs ya.
Hope this weekend brings a smile with it.
:)

Momma Made This said...

I love your optimism! I know that I wouldn't be the person I am today if I had not lived through all the good AND bad things that happened in my life. And if it had been all good, it would have been horribly dull, and I would have learned nothing.

Take care!!!!

~ Ronda

Talin's Corner said...

I am sorry that you have to deal with a break in. It's awful. We all need a little bit of your attitude.

We have had rain here everyday, except one, for the past two weeks. And although I like rainy days (curling up with a good book and some tea), I would like to see the sun.

As far as the afgan goes...it is beautiful (yellow is my favorite color).

Anonymous said...

Yeah rain!!! We got 1.3" yesterday so it was most welcomed. Our annual is about 11" so this was a nice start to the rainy season.

That is a shame about the broken window. Glad they didn't take the important things though.

Staci said...

I'm so sorry someone did such a rotten thing to you! How awful! And what a mess to have to clean up! You poor thing!

Your yellow afghan looks so soft and cuddly! I just love it! I love yellow!

crafty pug said...

major bummer about the breakin, but glad that nothing too much was taken. lovely kiddie blanket, and your blocks are going together so quickly!
xx

Carin said...

Linda I am so sorry about your car, it almost sounds like kids from what was and wasn't taken.

Thank you for your work and your letting people know about the Quilters Dream contest my grandmother passed away from ALS it is a horrible thing to have and I love that Quilters Dream does this to help.

Woo Hoo for your rain, I wish it would stop here. :O)

great looking blocks by the way HUGS, Carin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...