Thursday, October 28, 2010

Autumn Into Christmas

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
~Albert Camus

Cooler weather is finally here.  I actually had to turn the heater on yesterday morning.  As I write this, I'm sitting here with my hood up to keep my head warm and have a quilt wrapped around my legs for warmth.  I also have Snickerdoodle being a little oven on my lap - under the quilt of course.  I am thoroughly enjoying this change in the temps - I was wondering if it would ever arrive.  Now I feel like we are on course to head into the holidays.  Bring it on!! LOL!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


One of the first autumn leaves to arrive in my yard

Autumn is another word for fall. It is defined as the season when the leaves change the colour and fall from the trees, leaving the ground with a splendid array of brilliant red, yellow and orange dried leaves. It is the season the marks the end of the summer season and the beginning of the winter season.  It occurs approximately at the same time when the sun is close to the winter solstice. It is the season that usually begins in the month of September and goes on until the month of November in North American and Europe, which lie in the northern hemisphere, and the season that occurs between the months of March and May in the southern hemisphere, which includes the continent of Australia.  If expressed in astronomical terms, the autumn season refers to the season which starts from the autumnal equinox and extends up to the winter solstice. Autumn or fall, in fact, mark the period of transition between the summer and the winter seasons.  Autumn - my favorite time of year!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was able to sit at my sewing machine yesterday and it certainly felt good after leaving it idle for 6 days!  Poor thing is not used to such a long hiatus.  But it purred along as usual :)  I was in the mood for another Designer Mystery BOM - follow along and see if you can guess what I made before the final picture.

This is the fabric for the third block - bright and Christmasy like the others.


First I made these four blocks.  Any guesses yet?


Those four blocks turned into this block.  What could it be?


Next it was snowballing two corners.  Still no ideas?


Then this block was created.  Do you think it might be a present? 


Another rectangle with two snowball corners.  Not much help, is it.


Put the three units together.  I bet you have some ideas now!  Did you notice the cutting error on the middle block?  It ended up 1/4" of an inch too narrow so I had to be very careful when sewing on the next two pieces.  I ended up double stitching the seams so it won't come undone from washing.  I know.......measure twice, cut once!!


These are the final two pieces to the puzzle.  Now I know you know what it is........


It's a Christmas Wreath.  And you can't even tell I made that cutting error (thank goodness!)

I have had a lot of fun making these first three blocks and look forward to making more BOM's.  I hope you have had a little fun too trying to guess what they will be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REMINDER

Don't forget to enter my giveaway.  You could be the proud winner of 5 fall colored fat quarters.  This giveaway will be open until November 2nd.  You can enter my Just Because giveaway HERE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final Thought

Cooler weather means time to snuggle, time to relax, time to reflect.  Enjoy this cool weather while holding a warm mug of coffee or hot chocolate.  Enjoy the sites of changing colors, the Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations appearing on front steps, being able to see your breath as you step outside first thing in the morning.  In other words.......Enjoy Life! 

Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars.
~Henry Van Dyke

Thank goodness it's Thursday!!!

8 comments:

Talin's Corner said...

I know exactly what you mean. I miss my machine when I am away so long. It always feels like home when I am in front of it. My non-sewing friends do not understand this, they just smile at me when I say it. I am glad to know that there are others out there that feel like I do.

And not kidding, by the third photograph, I guessed a wreath. But I am usually not right so I was happy to see the last picture. It looks great. I love the green fabric, so appropriate for a wreath (with berries).

Lynda said...

Linda you are always so upbeat and happy and your blog reflects that about you! Love the Christmas green fabric and no I didn't guess until the very end that it was a wreath. Lovely.

Cheryl said...

As always, love your final thoughts. The wreath is charming. I love the colors--bright and fresh.

Needled Mom said...

What a sweet wreath! It will be a nice addition to the other blocks.

I'm not so sure that I am ready for the cool weather yet. Guess that might be because we had no summer.

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Linda, the wreath is really cute. I couldn't guess it till the end. Love the little hat in the previous post too.

Kim D. said...

That's an adorable wreath Linda! Great job!

Brigitte said...

I had to go all the way to the end to find out it was a wreath. I can see why it's called mystery quilting.
www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

joe tulips said...

I thought it was some white animal with a bow on its head. I tried, but got it wrong! That is kinda fun to try and guess.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...