Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Burger Mystery

The best cure for insomnia is a Monday morning.
~Author Unknown

Isn't that true?!?  Actually, I am usually ready to start the day come Monday.  I'm rested and have restored my energy banks over the weekend - watch out Monday!!  Do I have big plans?  No.  But I don't have a lot a little things I would like to accomplish.  How was your weekend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Photo Of The Day

Red leaves on a Nandina bush

 
We all enjoy the colors of autumn leaves. The changing fall foliage never fails to surprise and delight us. Did you ever wonder how and why a fall leaf changes color? Why a maple leaf turns bright red? Where do the yellows and oranges come from?  As summer ends and autumn comes, the days get shorter and shorter. This is how the trees "know" to begin getting ready for winter.  During winter, there is not enough light or water for photosynthesis. The trees will rest, and live off the food they stored during the summer. They begin to shut down their food-making factories. The green chlorophyll disappears from the leaves. As the bright green fades away, we begin to see yellow and orange colors. Small amounts of these colors have been in the leaves all along. We just can't see them in the summer, because they are covered up by the green chlorophyll.  Whatever the cause, I enjoy autumn for the beautiful show it creates.  Thank you Mother Nature!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week I completed the 2nd Designer Mystery Block of the Month

First I created these blocks.  Can you guess what it might be?


Next came this assemblage.  Any guesses yet?


This is the next block completed.  I bet you have an idea as to what it is now!


Ta-da!!  This is called Santa's Lucky Hat.  Isn't it cute?

You can still get in on this BOM through the Fat Quarter Shop.  I just love the colors - so bright and cheery.  I am still three months behind but at least I'm making some headway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How would you like a recipe today?  Since I did a cookie recipe last time, maybe I should balance with a main course.  A different type of hamburger maybe?  OK, done.......

Emeril's Pork and Chorizo Burgers

INGREDIENTS

6 oz smoked chorizo sausage, casings removed
1 pound ground pork
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 slices pepper jack cheese


DIRECTIONS
1.  Heat grill to medium. In large bowl, add ground pork, chorizo, garlic, Worcestershire, cajun seasoning, salt, and cayenne: mix gently. Form mixture into three 1 inch thick patties.



Burger mixture before blending in spices


3 burgers formed


2.  Grill burgers until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Top with sliced pepper jack cheese



Personal Notes

1.  Since mixing the meat mixture requires sticking your hand into sticky icky cold meat, I wear gloves.

2.  My daughter is turned off by the texture, something I have never noticed.

3.  The burgers are a little on the spicy side but definitely not overly so.

4.  I have a hard time eating any other burgers since discovering this recipe.

5.  I could only find the ground pork at an independently owned grocery store.

!!Enjoy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Final Thought

The beginning of the week, a fresh start, uncharted hours ahead - Monday!  I'm not a Monday hater.  It means I can get back to sewing.  Back to some sort of normality and routine.  I'm very much into regular and familiarity.  Some people would consider me boring.  But that's okay.  It's what I like and what I am.  So, I leave you with this thought for Monday......

You've got a lot of choices. If getting out of bed in the morning is a chore and you're not smiling on a regular basis, try another choice.
~Steven D. Woodhull

Merry Monday to you all!

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love the designer block! I cannot wait to see the final product. My DH would love that burger. I see you are using the flat buns too!

Needled Mom said...

Merry Monday to you too.

I love that cute block. That will really be a fabulous quilt.

Anonymous said...

Very cute block! And I love those fabrics... Karen

Megan Harmeyer said...

I love that little block! The burgers? I'll pass on those. :) The weekend was good - busy, but good.

joe tulips said...

I was guessing a sled, even though I noticed the picture was upside down near the end....it all became clear and cute in the end!!

crafty pug said...

love the hat! so cute! and thanks for saying that we are witty and clever - that has made my day! :)
xx

Cheryll said...

I can smell the meat cooking from here...yum! Looking forward to seeing all your completed blocks. Nice and chrismassy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...